When listing a home, there is one simple truth that I never stray from, not matter the situation: I never list a home until it is ready. Why? For a few reasons. First, there are so many other homes out there that hit the market without addressing the small stuff, so I know mine will automatically stand out from the pack. And, buyers notice everything! The mind wanders when they spot a small issue: "what else is lurking?" they wonder.
Lucky for you, I've compiled my check list of pre-list to-do's that you may or many not have already considered. These are the items that I believe truly make the difference between a house that sparks and one that may fall flat--they make that big of a difference!
- Things to power wash:
- Garage floor
- The algae off the front facade, steps, and deck
- Things to paint:
- Garage floor: I always use Benjamin Moore Battleship Gray
- The inside of fireplaces: paint them black for a clean, fresh look
- Fence/front gate: spray paint shiny black
- Things to clean:
- Exterior dryer vents
- Change filters and humidifier pads before inspection
- Checking windows for broken seals and fix as necessary: they always catch this during inspections
- Spruce up as necessary, clear away debris
- Add a few colorful flowers to planters
- Trim trees/bushes that may be covering windows